Monday 14 May 2012

Tips on Preventing Morning Sickness




Puke No More



If you are anything like me and the smallest smell, or just even getting up in the morning had you running for the White Porcelain Telephone to God, then I promise, I really feel for you.  If you are one of the lucky ones who does not have this problem, please remember that not everyone has it as easy as you do.

Now I am not quite at a hypermesis Exorcist stage and for those of you girls who are, my heart goes out to you, because I know that combatting crashing headaches that feel like an axe murderer has sliced open your noggin to extract your airheaded preggo brain, total exhaustion and throwing up morning, noon and night is no fun.  But now that I am 14 weeks I have found a few tricks that may help you.


Oh, and by the way - when a doctor or friend, or well meaning aunt cheerfully says ' Oh you are throwing up, that's a great sign'.  Don't worry if you are secretly  thought murdering them and wishing them a slow and cruel death.

1.  Eat little and often. Something bland.  Toast and crackers are good.  Keep them with you at all times.  

2.  Drink water but don't gulp it down.  Anything that you have too much of in one go could very easily come straight back up that is true of liquids as well

3.  Put crackers by your bed side.  This was a tip my friend Donna gave me and it works wonders.  Instead of waking up in the morning and within 15 minutes throwing up yellow bile, I kept crackers by my bed and ate one literally the second i woke up - it counter acts the acid that has been building up in your system over night.

4. Apples - I don't know if this works for anyone else, but it works for me.  I find that if I eat apples all day I am less likely to be sick.

5.  Ginger tea or ginger ale.  Now the tea works for me but  I don't like ginger ale.  I know that some people swear by it.   Chamomile also works and I prefer it.  Any form of caffeine makes me instantly sick.

6.  Make soup from only a stock cube. If you feel you need something salty but need something liquid this settles my stomach right down.

7. Peppermint oil rubbed around your belly button.  It is absorbed through your skin.  I have not personally tried this but some say it works wonders.

8. Accupuncture - apparently this works for some women. 

9. B6  - If you are looking for a supplement vitamin B6 is suggested by many doctors

10.  Dramamine - Ask your doctor if he is alright with this, but Dramamine works. It is also Over the Counter.

11. Zofran and Diclectin - by prescription only.  

Good luck ladies!  I hope this helps.  Any other suggestions please add them in the comments section. xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment